Colorado Springs Options for Rosacea Treatment
Do you flush easily or have trouble with facial redness? Do you have pimples that don’t respond to acne treatment? The cause could be rosacea, a skin condition that affects over four million people globally. While there is not a cure for rosacea, the condition can be controlled with simple lifestyle changes and appropriate treatment from your dermatologist in Colorado Springs, CO.
What is Rosacea?
Rosacea is a skin condition characterized by visible blood vessels and facial redness. In some cases, rosacea causes pimple-like bumps. It is sometimes referred to as “adult acne.” In actuality, it is a subset of acne. Adults can develop acne, rosacea, or both. If you have breakouts that are unresponsive to or aggravated by over-the-counter treatments, it might not be acne at all.
Symptoms may vary depending on the subtype of rosacea and skin type. Additionally, flares may come-and-go, lasting weeks or months.
- Persistent facial redness, especially in the nose area.
- Swollen, visible blood vessels on the cheeks or nose.
- Facial flushing.
- Tender, stinging, or heated skin.
- Itchy, red, or irritated eyes.
- Thickening of skin and gradual enlargement of the nose over years.
How rosacea is treated
- Medications – Topical serums/gels/foams may soothe skin and treat pimples. Oral medications may reduce chronic inflammation.
- Lifestyle changes – Learning to identity (and possibly avoid) rosacea triggers to prevent flares.
- Destruction of broken blood vessels causing redness via an electric needle or lasers.
Dr. Susan Schroeder is a board-certified dermatologist, with extensive experience diagnosing and treating rosacea. Call our office at 719-421-7132 and schedule a consultation to get started.